Subprime Litigation Risk: Outside the Financial Sector?
As I have previously noted (here), securities backed by subprime and other residential mortgages are not just held by financial companies. A wide variety of companies invested in these securities in order to try to improve their return on cash and short-term investments. As the credit markets have deteriorated, many of these investments have declined in value, and the companies holding these investments have been forced to take write-downs or charges. The most dramatic write-downs have come from companies in the financial sector. But now companies outside the financial sector are announcing downward accounting adjustments, and some of these accounting adjustments are occurring in some unexpected places.
The most significant of these downward accounting adjustments outside the financial sector so far was announced in connection with the January 31, 2007 fourth quarter and year end earnings release (here) of Bristol-Myers Squibb. The company reported an overall net fourth quarter loss of $89 million. The loss included "an impairment charge of $275 million on the company’s investments in auction rate securities." The company reported that it has a total of $811 million invested in auction rate securities (ARS), the underlying collateral for some of which "consists of sub-prime mortgages."
The company reported that as a result of "multiple failed auctions" and downgrades, the year-end estimated market value of the ARS investments was $419 million. Although the ARS continue to pay interest, as a result of valuation models and "an analysis of other-than-temporary impairment charges," the company recorded an impairment charge of $275 million, and an unrealized pre-tax loss of $142 million. The company noted that if the credit market deteriorates further, "the company may incur additional impairments."
Bristol-Myers Squibb is not the only company outside of the financial sector to report a write-down or to take a charge based on deterioration of mortgage-backed assets. In its December 13, 2007 fiscal fourth quarter earnings release (here), Ciena reported a $13 million loss related to commercial paper issued by two structured investment vehicles (SIV) "that entered receivership and failed to make payment at maturity." And in its January 7, 2008 fiscal second quarter earnings release (here), Lawson Software reported that its revenue gains were offset by a non-operating permanent impairment charge of $4.2 million…to reduce the fair value of the auction-rate securities held by the company.
While these downward accounting adjustments are noteworthy, they do have to be put in perspective. Bristol-Myers Squibb’s $275 impairment charge should be looked at in conjunction with the company’s $2.2 billion in cash, cash equivalents and short-term securities, that it carries on its balance sheet in addition to the principal the company invested in ABS. Ciena’s $13 million loss needs to be put in the context of the company’s $1.7 billion total cash position. These companies’ adverse financial developments, while negative, certainly do not threaten these companies’ financial health.
The significance of these financial adjustments is that they happened at all; their occurrence strongly suggests that other companies outside the financial sector may also find themselves taking charges or write-downs. Some of these accounting adjustments may not be as relatively insignificant as they were for the companies mentioned above, and it is possible that some of the downward adjustments could involve a more significant impact on these other companies.
These kinetic possibilities pose an enormous risk for investors and for D & O underwriters. The uncertainty around where these "risky categories" of assets may reside and about whether or not these assets create balance sheet or income statement vulnerabilities makes investment and underwriting assessments enormously complicated. Indeed, the very lack of transparency around these issues could itself become an issue, because it raises the potential for later accusations that aggrieved parties were misled about a company’s true financial condition.
Special thanks to Thomas Smith for alerting me to the Bristol-Myers impairment charge and to a loyal reader who also flagged the Brisol-Myers action and sent along the Tech Trader Daily blog link.
One More Thing to Worry About: Credit Default Swaps: As the recent turbulence involving the bond insurers has demonstrated, another type of complex instrument with which we are all going to have to get familiar is the credit default swap. According to the Seeking Alpha blog (here), the notional value of the CDS market is in excess of $45 trillion, of which the major financial institutions hold about 40% -- the implication being that the other 60% is held by somebody other than the major financial institutions.
Special thanks to a loyal reader for the link to the Seeking Alpha post.